Bilabiri Leaders Petition Bayelsa Governor, Police, JTF And Other Security Agencies Over Alleged Threats And Armed Invasions
- by Elaye, Bayelsa, HSN
- about 8 hours ago
- 167 views
Community leaders in Bilabiri, Ekeremor Local Government Area of Bayelsa State, have petitioned security authorities over alleged threats to lives and property, repeated invasions of the community and alleged illegal black-sand mining activities on land claimed by the community.
The petition, filed through their lawyers, was addressed to the Commissioner of Police, Bayelsa State Command, and copied to other relevant authorities, including the Assistant Inspector-General of Police, the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC), the Joint Task Force (JTF), the Governor of Bayelsa State, the Senior Special Assistant on Security to the governor and other security agencies.
The community leaders, represented by Bilabiri Community Development Committee Chairman, Chief Tekenane Abaka; CDC Secretary, Mr. Ebike Adams; National President of Bilabiri Ibe Ware, Paebi Samson; High Chief Gelu Friday; and High Chief Esau Olumofa, said they were compelled to seek the intervention of the authorities following what they described as a series of disturbing incidents capable of threatening the peace and security of the community.
According to the petition, the alleged attacks began on August 17, 2026, when a group of about 12 men reportedly arrived in Bilabiri Community from Amatu II Community in a speedboat. The petitioners alleged that among the group were Mr. Man Job, Fine-Boy Job, Ebiyekon Timakawei and four unidentified men dressed in NSCDC uniforms.
The petition alleged that the men were armed with sophisticated weapons, including two General Purpose Machine Guns (GPMGs), a G3 rifle and AK-47 rifles. Upon arrival, they allegedly patrolled the community waterfront while singing war songs and firing shots sporadically, causing panic among residents and forcing some members of the community to flee for safety.
The petitioners further alleged that the group subsequently entered the community forcibly and made threats against Bilabiri. They claimed that the men stopped at one of the community's jetties and allegedly declared that they had been sent by their Paramount Ruler, Chief Ibane Joel Ekeni, to “wipe out” Bilabiri Community.
The community leaders also alleged that the men claimed to have undergone spiritual or “war protection” rituals which they believed would protect them from attacks while carrying out their alleged mission. The petitioners said such statements, coupled with the alleged presence and use of firearms, had heightened fears among residents.
At the centre of the dispute, according to the petition, is alleged illegal black-sand mining on the Agoliyo, also referred to as Bilabiri-Ilaje, land. The petitioners maintained that the land belongs to Bilabiri Community and said community leaders had previously asked the alleged miners to stop their activities peacefully.
Rather than complying with the request, the petition alleged that the individuals and their associates resorted to intimidation and threats. The community leaders claimed that the August 17 incident was connected to efforts to prevent the alleged illegal exploitation of the black-sand resources on the disputed land.
The petition further stated that the alleged group left the community after about an hour but returned approximately 30 minutes later. During the second visit, the suspects allegedly warned that members of Bilabiri would be wiped out if they attempted to prevent them from continuing with their mining activities.
The petitioners said the alleged threats continued after the August 17 incident. They reported that on August 19, 2026, at about 2pm, the same individuals and their associates allegedly returned to the waterfront in two speedboats. According to the complaint, the men were again allegedly armed and fired shots while issuing further threats against the community.
The community leaders alleged that the men warned that Bilabiri could be wiped out at any time if residents continued to oppose their alleged mining activities. They also expressed concern over alleged threats of kidnapping directed at some of the community leaders.
The petitioners said the repeated incidents had created widespread fear among residents, with some community members allegedly leaving the area because of concerns about possible attacks, kidnapping or loss of life. They further alleged that the suspects had been boasting of having connections that could enable them to carry out their threats.
Of particular concern to the petitioners is the alleged presence of individuals wearing NSCDC uniforms during the incidents. They urged the authorities to establish the identities of the uniformed men and determine whether they are serving members of the NSCDC or were allegedly using the uniforms unlawfully.
In their petition, the community leaders called for an immediate and comprehensive investigation into the allegations, including the identities of all the individuals involved, the alleged possession and use of firearms, the reported threats to kill and kidnap residents, the alleged threats to destroy the community, and the circumstances surrounding the disputed black-sand mining activities.
They also urged security agencies to take preventive measures to stop any further invasion of Bilabiri and protect residents from what they described as an escalating security threat. The petitioners warned that failure to intervene promptly could result in loss of lives, kidnapping, arson, attempted murder or a wider communal conflict.
The community leaders said their objective was not to escalate the dispute but to secure the protection of lives and property, restore peace and ensure that disputes over land and natural resources are handled through lawful means rather than violence or intimidation.
They therefore appealed to the police and other security agencies to treat the petition as urgent, thoroughly investigate the allegations and take appropriate action against anyone found to have committed offences. They also called for measures capable of preventing further confrontation and restoring confidence among residents of Bilabiri Community.
The petition ultimately asks the authorities to act before the alleged threats translate into actual violence, stressing that the combination of repeated incursions, alleged firearms, threats to life and kidnapping, and the dispute over black-sand mining has created what the petitioners described as a volatile security situation requiring immediate government and security intervention.
0 Comment(s)